المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : Tim Duncan's dominance at 37 should not be surprising

BECKHAM
26-05-2013, 09:21 AM
For a while, Tim Duncan played along, pretending to be amused as the questions kept coming late Saturday night, each one a derivative of how he keeps doing this at age 37.The San Antonio Spurs had just completed what many of their veterans were calling one of the greatest victories over all their years and championships together, defeating the Memphis Grizzlies 104-93 in overtime at FedExForum.
Somehow, they had survived everything the Grizzlies could throw at them: an early 18-point deficit, a rowdy arena at full-tilt, a team desperate to try to make this a series.
GAME 3: Duncan leads way for 3-0 series lead
SCHEDULE: West finals matchups and TV info
And yet, as Duncan sat on a rubber balance ball in the visitors' locker room in the wake of a Spurs masterpiece that put them on the brink of another NBA Finals, he could only tolerate for so long a conversation about something as trivial as his age in the midst of all this.
"Am I surprised at what I'm able to do (at 37)?" Duncan said. "I'm just here to play, man. I'm not worried about how old I am or whatever it may be; I'm very focused on having another opportunity to make it to the championship and try to win one."
Duncan may not want to acknowledge that he's not supposed to be doing this, but it is no less a marvel for the rest of us how he has owned these Western Conference finals. Tony Parker has undoubtedly been the best player in the series, controlling almost everything for the Spurs, but Duncan has been their finisher. After dominating overtime in Game 2, he was magnificent once again when it mattered most, scoring the Spurs' first five points in overtime to cap off a 24-point, 10-rebound performance.
"That's why he is considered as great as he has been for the last 17 years," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's been unbelievable. He feels a responsibility to carry us in those kinds of times, and he did it again tonight."
PUTBACKS: How Duncan owned overtime once again
'TURNOVERS:' Popovich's hilarious one-word interview
The Spurs still have more work to do to finish off the Grizzlies, but this felt like the backbreaker. No NBA team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit in the playoffs, and though the last two games have gone to overtime, Memphis still has no answer for Duncan on either end of the floor.
That's not the way this series was supposed to go; not against Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol, who had brutalized the Spurs in the playoffs two years ago. And though Duncan is older now, he is healthier, fitter and perhaps even a step quicker. While Gasol and Randolph have struggled all series to get clean looks against the Spurs' long arms in the paint, Duncan is only getting more comfortable.
PHOTOS: TOP SHOTS FROM THE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

After Duncan scored the first six points of overtime in Game 2, he came right back Saturday in the extra period with a 17-foot jumper on the Spurs' first possession and a quick move against Gasol that got a basket and a foul. Then, with 2:18 left, his beautiful high-low feed for Tiago Splitter opened a 97-89 lead that sucked the life out of Memphis — for the game, and perhaps this series.
"What he's doing at his age, I don't know how many have done that in NBA history," Parker said. "It's unbelievable."
SAD NEWS: Duncan, wife divorcing after playoffs
EAST FINALS: Cold Heat need more than LeBron
Duncan may not want to put the context of age on his performance, but the undercurrent of every playoff series for the Spurs is whether it will be their last as a viable championship contender. Though the "Big Three" is still going strong, they know these chances are precious. That's why it cut so deep to lose to the Grizzlies in 2011 as the No. 1 seed, why their collapse in the Western finals against the Oklahoma City Thunder last season left them stunned.
Duncan dismisses the notion that the Spurs' younger role players are rallying around him, but everyone in their locker room knows what one more crack at the title would mean.
And now, six years removed from their last Finals appearance, the Spurs are just one win away from going back.
"It'd mean a tremendous amount," Duncan said. "We've been kind of on the verge of it the last couple years and been counted out for a bunch of years and haven't been there in forever. It would mean a lot. Obviously we have one more game to win to get to that point, but I'm excited about the opportunity to get there.
"I don't care who they rally around or what we're doing it for. I want to get it done, and this is a special run for me. I really want to get this one done, I want to get back to the Finals, I want to win another championship. It's been a long time and it would be fun to get it done again."