المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : New Rutgers AD Hermann in center of more controversy

BECKHAM
26-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Newly appointed Rutgers Athletics Director Julie Hermann, hired May 15 to clean up an athletics department reeling from the men's basketball verbal- and physical-abuse scandal and the subsequent fallout, is involved in a controversy of her own stemming from her time as women's volleyball coach at Tennessee.
New details of a 1997 pregnancy discrimination lawsuit filed against the University of Tennessee surfaced Saturday when the Newark Star-Ledger reported video-tape evidence debunking a statement she made during her introductory press conference.
NJ.com spliced a video together with Hermann's statement from the May 15 news conference along with an apparent 1994 wedding video – which reportedly was obtained from Ginger Hineline, Hermann's former assistant coach, who didn't respond to a text message on her cell phone and a message left at her office from New Jersey Press Media on Wednesday.
New Jersey Press Media did, however, obtain the Jan. 25, 1996, court filing and minutes from a 1997 employment discrimination suit in which Hineline alleged she was discouraged from becoming pregnant while she served in a top assistant post under Hermann, who served as the Tennessee women's volleyball coach from 1991-96. According to the docket, Hineline had demanded $750,000 from the University of Tennessee on grounds that she was the victim of employment discrimination based on her pregnancy and on June 4, 1997, was awarded $150,000 by a jury verdict.
According to the Knoxville News Sentinel's coverage of the suit in June 1997, Hineline's complaint recounted her asking Hermann whether she would lose her job if she had a child, and Hermann's response was, "I hope it doesn't come to that.''
Hineline reportedly testified that she felt pressured by Hermann to choose between her coaching career or starting a family prior to her termination in July 1995. The University of Tennessee countered Hineline's termination was based on her coaching performance and had no knowledge of her pregnancy prior to ceasing her employment.
The News Sentinel reported Hermann was a witness for the University of Tennessee and also was a bridesmaid in Hineline's wedding. The newspaper also quoted Hineline as saying, "Julie and I had various conversations that discouraged me from becoming pregnant.''
Sports Illustrated later reported Hineline told Hermann that she wanted to start a family right away and referenced a video recording of Hineline's wedding, at which Hermann allegedly says, "We don't want any surprises come February. ... It would be hard to have a baby in the office.''
The Star-Ledger video corroborates the 1997 Sports Illustrated report with Hermann actually saying, "So, I'm very proud of you, I'm very happy for you, I love you very much, I'm very excited about this day. I hope it's good tonight because I know you've been waiting awhile but I hope it's not too good but I don't want you to come back in February with any surprises, you know, in the office and all, and it would be hard to have a baby in there and babysitting. Well, actually I wouldn't mind it so much but I don't know. Anyway, have a great honeymoon. I love you. Hope it went well. See you soon.''
The Star-Ledger then reported that Hermann said in an interview last week she "didn't remember attending Hineline's wedding 19 years ago.'' The Star-Ledger then showed a clip of Hermann catching the bouquet from Hineline.
During her introductory press conference, Hermann was pressed by WNBC-NY reporter Brian Thompson to address the 1997 Sports Illustrated report. In his first question, Thompson specifically made reference of the video.
Hermann said: "There's a video? I'm sorry did you say there's a video?''
Thompson replied: "(Sports Illustrated) referred to a video, a wedding video in which you may have said that.''
Hermann chuckled and then said: "There's no video, trust me.''
She added: "I've been managing people for 25 years, and through the course of 25 years (managing) hundreds of student-athletes and coaches, and unfortunately there are occasions in which, unfortunately, some of those dialogues ended up being litigated. It was litigated. And while I do not agree with the outcome, it's already been litigated and there's really nothing else to comment on.''
Thompson then asked: "So it didn't happen the way it was described in the article?''
Hermann said: "I'm not familiar with the article you're talking about. I'm not familiar with what you read to me.''
Thompson then asked permission to read it, and Hermann said: "Sure.''
Thompson referenced the part of the complaint that cites Hineline as asking, "Does it mean it might come down to not having a baby or losing my job,'' and Hermann's response as, "It might.'' Hermann shook her head and said: "I'm not familiar with that whatsoever.''
Thompson asked: "You don't remember that?''
Hermann said: "No, sir.''
The Star-Ledger video came to light 10 days after Hermann signed a five-year deal worth $450,000 annually to lead a Rutgers athletics department still dealing with the fallout of now-deposed men's basketball coach Mike Rice's mistreatment of players and questionable decisions made by top university leaders, including Tim Pernetti, who accepted a $1.2 million settlement to resign his AD post.
Rutgers President Robert L. Barchi, who recommended Hermann's appointment following a five-week national search that included 63 candidates, said her 15 years of leadership experience at the University of Louisville, where she served as the athletics department's second-in-command, will be an invaluable asset to the university as it prepares to enter the Big Ten in 2014.
Hermann, who won't officially take office until June 17, wasn't available for immediate comment on the Star-Ledger report.
Her task of restoring faith in a Rutgers fan base still seething over the ouster of the popular Pernetti figures to be more daunting in light of this latest controversy. There also are questions of why Rutgers officials signed off on Hermann's appointment after news that Hermann was involved in the lawsuit surfaced on May 12 – three days before the university's Board of Governors signed off on Barchi's recommendation – when multiple media outlets referenced the 1997 News Sentinel's coverage of the suit.
The university paid for the services of an outside firm, Parker Executive Search, to identify and vet candidates during the interview process earlier this month. Barchi stood at the podium and introduced Hermann as "quite simply a remarkable leader'' and "precisely the person we need to continue to build and strengthen Rutgers athletics.''
Barchi, whose leadership also came under fire for what he termed a "failure of process'' in choosing not to watch the infamous Mike Rice video tape last December, said Hermann shared his perspectives on the key principles for Rutgers athletics, citing "absolute integrity'' and a "commitment to the university's core values'' among them.
"Julie's experience, her leadership, her vision and her commitment to excellence both to athletic excellence and to the success of student athletes both on and off the field make her the ideal candidate to lead the Scarlet Knights during the pivotal years ahead,'' Barchi said during the introductory news conference. "Julie is one of the most respected athletics administrators in the country. Throughout her career she has always kept a clear focus on the development of the student-athletes. She is passionate about ensuring that they have a well-rounded collegiate experience.''
Kate Sweeney, co-chair along with Richard Edwards for the 26-person AD selection committee, said Hermann "was the best candidate'' and the committee's job "was to put forth a group of qualified candidates to Dr. Barchi and he made the final selection.''
A graduate of Nebraska, where she starred on the volleyball team, Hermann recently served as president of the National Association of Collegiate Women's Athletics Administrators, a powerful organization in college athletics that advocates for increased opportunities for women in sports.
"Creating integrity is not a simple task,'' she said during her introductory news conference. "You have to live it and you have to allow an environment in which people can be honest and be transparent.''